Friday, January 7, 2011

Lübeck, Kiel and Hamburg November 12-14

On my final weekend in Germany for this time around, I made a virtue out of having had to move out of my apartment in Bamberg and went on a sight-seeing trip to the north part of the country. With this trip to the states of Schleswig Holstein and Hamburg I have now been in each of the German states, at least briefly.


I took a night train to the city of Lübeck that arrived at 6:00 am on the morning of Friday November 12. I had to kill a few hours before I could check into my hotel. I then walked around the city on the cold and blustery day and went to the natural history museum, the Kunsthalle art museum built in a former Convent of St. Anne and the Burgkloster history and archaeology museum, built in a notorious prison during the Nazi period.


The city gate of Lübeck

The next day, Saturday November 13 I took a train to the city of Kiel, where I spent a drizzly day walking around and visiting the natural history museum, aquarium and Kunsthalle art museum.

Then on Sunday November 14 I took a train to Hamburg. I first took an hour and half bus tour and then went to the Kunst and Gewerbe Museum. I then walked around to the city hall area, where the Christmas tree lights were being installed for the advent market that was soon to open in the city square.


The Hamburg city hall

I also went to the Völkerkunde ethnographic museum, where an international crafts fair was underway. The craft displays covered up the exhibits in much of the museum.


The craft displays at the Völkerkunde Museum

I then rode up and down some of the subway lines, before ending up back at the train station. My evening train leaving Hamburg was overfull, so I had to stand for the first couple of hours. After changing trains in Köln, I arrived at the Frankfurt airport at 2:30 am on Monday November 15 and I hung out until my flight to Chicago left at 8:00 am.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually your inventive writing expertise has impressed me a lot.Most of these post are always helpful and I prefer to read quality content so I am happy to find many good factorActually your inventive writing expertise has impressed me a lot.Most of these post are always helpful and I prefer to read quality content so I am happy to find many good factors here in the post, writing is simply good.s here in the post, writing is simply good.

hotels in Kiel

Unknown said...

Outstanding article, all of this is quite similar to a site that I publish. Please check it out sometime and feel free to leave me a comenet on it and tell me what you think. I'm always looking for feedback.


hotel Kiel

Unknown said...

Actually your inventive writing expertise has impressed me a lot.Most of these post are always helpful and I prefer to read quality content so I am happy to find many good factorActually your inventive writing expertise has impressed me a lot.Most of these post are always helpful and I prefer to read quality content so I am happy to find many good factors here in the post, writing is simply good.s here in the post, writing is simply good.
hotel Kiel