Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicago October 20-23

I traveled to the USA on Thursday October 20 in order to attend the annual Byzantine Studies Conference, held this year in Chicago. The flight left Ben Gurion airport early in the morning and after a few hours layover in Warsaw arrived at O’Hare at 3:45 in the afternoon. Unfortunately there was an hour and a half long line to get through passport control. Thus it took me a while to get to the Art Institute in downtown Chicago, but still in time for the opening reception of the conference. During the days of the conference I stayed in Hyde Park with Yorke Rowan and Morag Kersel, two archaeologist friends of mine who work in Jordan.

I spent the next day, Friday October 21, attending the sessions of the Byzantine Studies Conference held at De Paul University. That evening I attended the conference lecture and reception at the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago; I otherwise did not spend any time at the University of Chicago on this trip. On Saturday October 22, I attended the conference sessions and gave my presentation on The Archaeology of Early Christianity: the Jordanian Contribution that morning. I attended the conference business lunch and the conference reception at the De Paul University campus that evening. The conference continued through noon on Sunday October 23. The conference was especially useful for meeting people I had not seen for years; I had last attended the Byzantine Studies Conference in 1993.

After the conference ended, I stopped at the De Paul University Art Museum and then, on a beautiful fall day, I walked around to Lincoln Park, where I went to the Nature Museum and the Zoo; I was last at the zoo in 1985.


Butterflies in the Nature Museum


Meerkats at the Lincoln Park Zoo

No comments: