Sunday, April 22, 2012

Istanbul March 23-24

My flight from New York City arrived in Istanbul on Friday March 23 at 10:00 am. I had found a super cheap fare with Turkish Airlines that enabled me to stop over on my way back to Jordan for a few days without any added charge. The only other time I had been in Istanbul was for a few days as a 14-year old in 1971, so I took advantage of the opportunity to fill what had been a gap in my travels, given how interested I am in Byzantine studies.

I stayed in a hotel in the Sultan Ahmet neighborhood, very close to the Hagia Sophia and Topkapi palace, in an area where virtually every building is a hotel, restaurant or travel agent. The first afternoon I walked around along a main street west for a couple kilometers and walked through the Grand Bazaar on the way back.

The next day, Saturday March 24, I did a lot of sight-seeing. I got a three-day museum pass and started off with the Topkapi Palace for a couple of hours.


A room in the Topkapi Palace

I then went to the Turkish and Islamic Museum, where I saw the Umayyad milestone of ‘Abd al-Malik from near Jerusalem and the Fatimid inscription that prohibits non-Muslims from entering the mosque built in the east end of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.


The Arabic inscriptions in the Turkish and Islamic Museum.
‘Abd al-Malik’s milestone is on the left and the Fatimid
 inscription from the mosque in the east end of the Church
of the Holy Sepulchre is to its right.

In the afternoon I went to the Hagia Sophia. I was interested to see in a side area a sarcophagus decorated with crosses that had been cut away.


The cut-away crosses


A crew filming a documentary in the Hagia Sophia

I then went to the nearby underground water reservoir and then in the evening I took a tram heading west to the end of the line and back.

No comments: