Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Amman July 17-August 23

On Tuesday July 17 I traveled to Amman, Jordan and moved into the American Center of Oriental Research for another three-month stay. I got a late start in the morning at 9:30 and so ended up having to take an expensive private taxi to the Allenby Bridge. After a long wait on the Israeli side, I eventually got to ACOR after six hours of travel time, one of the longest times the trip has taken.

I was back at ACOR to continue work on the final report of the Madaba Archaeological Park excavations from 1992-1993. But during the first month, I also worked on a variety of other projects. I worked further on Western Accounts of the Masjid al-Aqsa compound in Jerusalem, did some editing of the proposal to have the Baptism Site on the Jordan River nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and proofread further the first of Gustaf Dalman’s volumes about Palestinian customs. I also finished my report about the survey last December of the heritage buildings in Bhimunipatnam, India.

I also did some final work on my translations of the Royal Scientific Society documents about 19th and 20th century Jerusalem for their new website and on Thursday July 26 I attended a meeting at the Royal Scientific Society about the documents – that was the first time I had been on their compound beyond the far side of the University of Jordan since 1994, when I worked for a few months at the Al al-Bayt University liaison office there.

Mohammad Ghosheh, my Palestinian colleague, also came by with a copy of his newly published, spectacular book about the Dome of the Rock.

The Muslim fasting month of Ramadan started on July 21 and ended on August 19, followed by the Muslim holiday of Id al-Fitr, so there were none of the usual public lectures or other events to attend during that time, beyond some in-house presentations by current ACOR fellows, and so I mostly stayed put at ACOR. There are better wireless internet capabilities at ACOR now, and I frittered away a good deal of time live-streaming YouTube videos in the course of the month.

No comments: