Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bamberg September 4-30 Part 1

I arrived in Frankfurt early in the morning of September 4 and I took a train straight away to Bamberg. I moved into the apartment that I had subleased and got settled in.

I have a small apartment in a nice quiet and green residential neighborhood near the city’s main cathedral (Dom) about a fifteen minute walk from the university.

My apartment building

The view from my window

The street in front of my apartment building

While I preferred the larger, but more expensive apartment I had in 2007, which was only three minutes away from my office, the walk to the university could scarcely be more attractive mostly along pedestrian only streets and lanes through a wooded area past the Dom and then past the historic buildings of the city center, which is a UNESCO world heritage site.

A house near where I live with the Dom in the background

The wooded area

One of the many streets with outdoor cafes

Another street with the old city hall in the distance

A statue of Saint/Queen Kunigunda, the wife of King Heinrich, who established Bamberg as a bishopric a thousand years ago, with the Regnitz River in the background

The one eyesore along my daily path to the university was a wall marred by graffiti, but during my first days in Bamberg the wall was painted over with spray paint by some university art education students as a mural surveying modern art.

The art students painting their mural

No comments: