Monday, November 2, 2009

Bamberg September 4-30 Part 2

I am back in Bamberg through the end of February 2010 to work further on the never-ending sites and monuments of Jerusalem encyclopedia with my German colleagues Klaus Bieberstein, who is the Old Testament professor at the University of Bamberg, and Hanswulf Bloedhorn in Tübingen.

September was a vacation month for the university, so things were quiet. I spent a lot of time in the university libraries. In addition to working on the sites and monuments of Jerusalem, one small thing I did was to translate an article in German about Palestinian clothing and ornament published in 1901.

Unfortunately I was unable to get an office at the university, as I had hoped I might. Recently the historic building that houses the university’s institute of “monumentology” (i.e. architectural conservation or Denkmalkunde – no German dictionary I checked offered a translation) was found to be structurally unsound (!) and had to be evacuated, so university office space is at a premium for the duration of the renovations.

As I have been doing for the past couple of years, I continue to work on improving my German, especially oral comprehension, by watching German-language video podcasts, available through iTunes.

At the end of August my Arabic for Archaeologists booklet was published by ACOR. I had worked on the booklet when I was a fellow at ACOR last year.


The cover of the Arabic for Archaeologists booklet

No comments: