Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dubuque and Coralville October 24-29

On October 24 I got up early in the morning to catch the 8:30 bus from Rockford to Dubuque, which arrived at 11:00, in time for lunch with my parents at the Luther Manor retirement home.

I was in Dubuque for only three days on this short trip, having been in Dubuque on a longer visit in July. I stayed in my parents’ apartment at Luther Manor and I had the use of my brother John’s car, so I could do a lot of shopping and go to the Wartburg Seminary library a couple of times. John and his wife Renee came by one evening with pizza.
 

The literate Schick family

On Sunday October 27 John and Renee picked me up and we went to Coralville, an hour and a half drive away. We arrived at the condominium where my sister Linda lives and went with her and her friend Dennis to church for a Reformation Sunday service. After the service we all went to a restaurant for brunch and then we attended a performance of the Monty Python musical Spamalot at the Coralville Theater. Afterwards I checked into a hotel near where my sister lives and later that evening we all went out to dinner.
 

The group in Coralville (from left: Renee, John, me, Linda and Dennis)

On Monday October 28, we all met again for breakfast and then Dennis took me to the bus station where I took a Megabus into Chicago. This was the first time I had taken a trip with the Megabus company. The bus arrived in Chicago at 3:00, with enough time to get to the O’Hare airport for my flight to Detroit at 6:30. From Detroit I took an overnight flight to Paris, and then an afternoon flight on the 29th to Amman, arriving back at the American Center of Oriental Research at 10:45 pm.

No comments: