Friday, January 10, 2014

Ghor al-Safi November 20-December 28 Part One

I had to leave the tour with my friends in India early because I needed to get back in Jordan for the start of an excavation season at Ghor al-Safi.

I arrived back at ACOR in Amman on Wednesday November 20, but I only spent one night there before going down to Ghor al-Safi the following evening.

On Thursday November 21 I had time in the morning to do only a few things before Dino Politis, the director of the excavations in Ghor al-Safi, picked me up. We did some shopping before going to the airport in the evening to pick up two other participants in the project. It was a challenge to fit all four of us, our luggage and lots of groceries into the small rental car for the two-hour journey to Ghor al-Safi at the south end of the Dead Sea.

The dig team stayed at the Museum at the Lowest Place on Earth at the foot of the Lot’s Cave monastery site, where I had worked with Dino during his excavations there starting in 1988. I had last joined Dino for an excavation season in Ghor al-Safi in 2004.
 

The museum at Christmas time

This season we had come to continue excavations at the main Byzantine and Islamic urban site of Khirbat esh-Sheikh ‘Isa located in the south area of the Ghor al-Safi oasis. The core members of the project were Dino as director and Alex, Ana, Andrew and me, with several others who came for shorter periods – Anni from Greece, Peter from Australia and his wife Penny who worked as registrar in the museum, Mario, who worked with me for a week, and Tony from the UK. Dino used our group photograph as a Christmas card.
 

Our group photo

Quteiba, a surveyor with the Department of Antiquities, came for a few days at the end of the season to take elevations and photographs with his boom.

 
Quteiba taking photographs

We employed twenty local workmen who were generally the best I have known in Jordan; I usually had four or five workmen with me each day.


The workmen who were with me most of the time

 
Two of my overachieving workmen

Our normal work schedule was to arrive on site at 7:00 am, but that was still well before sunrise, until the Jordanians ended summer time on December 20, so we die not really get underway for a while. We had a break between 10:30 and 11:00 and finished at 2:00. In the afternoon and evening we would put in a few more hours doing notebook work and processing pottery and other finds.

We worked six days a week with Fridays off. We lost two days due to high winds that made work on site impossible, and so I had a total of 24 days of work in my trenches.

The excavations in Ghor al-Safi had two components this season. The first was the Mamluk period sugar factory and the other was the main urban site of Khirbat esh-Sheikh ‘Isa across the road, where Dino has been directing excavations since 2002. I excavated in the Khirbat esh-Sheikh ‘Isa site in a building that can now be identified as a Byzantine period church with the first phase of post-church occupation dating to the Abbasid period, with later major phases of occupation in the Fatimid and Ayyubid-Mamluk periods.

The depth of stratigraphic deposits down from the surface to the level of the Byzantine church was three meters. That depth made it awkward to get in and out and clean up for photographs.

 

A workman brushing away the last footprints in my trench for a photograph

Khirbat esh-Sheikh ‘Isa is a rich archaeological site, and we found our share of museum display items. The prize in my trench was an intact marble post that was part of the marble furnishings of the church.
 

The marble post and the six workmen who managed to get it out of the three-meter deep trench

No comments: