Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chennai December 24-25

On Saturday December 24 I explored the city of Chennai by riding on the mass transit lines. My hotel was in the Chepauk area in the heart of the city, so I first went to the Chepauk metro stop and took the train to the end of the line at Velacheri and then took the train back to Chennai Beach. I then took a different line as far as the airport stop and back. I then took the train to the Light House station and went to a shopping mall a couple of blocks away. The glitzy shopping mall is located in a slum neighborhood, making for a stark contrast.


People getting photographed at the mall’s Christmas display



The scene a short distance away

That evening I went out again and walked along the main Anna Salai street, and got some books at the Higgenbotham’s bookstore.

On Sunday December 25 I spend some time reading the books I had bought, including Bill Bryson, At Home.  I also explored the city some more. I went to the Egmore train station and took the metro line to the airport and took a bus back to the Central train station and walked around further. That afternoon I went to an internet outlet and that evening I watched a DVD of the recent Bollywood movie Muhjese Fraandship Karoge, in which Tara D’Souza stars. She is the daughter of the former director of HMI.

I did not do anything special for Christmas, thinking that I would get more than enough religiosity in the coming days.

No comments: