Saturday, January 7, 2012

Visakhapatnam December 20-23

Back in Visakhpatnam, on Tuesday December 20, Raman, Rani’s nephew, took me to the early Buddhist site of Rama Thirtham, north of Visakhapatnam. The site was particularly impressive. A lengthy path led up a hill side to the extensively preserved site in a scenic location. A friendly site guard accompanied us. 
 

The path



The site


The site guard and Raman


The solar-powered guard’s house at the foot of the hill

We passed through the city of Vizianagaram on the way. There are some heritage buildings there, but we did not stop.

Meanwhile Rani took Ilse and Anja shopping, and upon my return to Visakhapatnam at noon, I joined them at the Dolphin Hotel for lunch. Afterwards I went to the train station to get a refund for Ilse and Anja’s ticket to Hyderabad; they decided to fly back to Hyderabad instead. That evening Rani took us to an excellent classical Indian dance performance by Ganti Krishna Swetha.

On Wednesday December 21, Ilse and Anja left on their morning flight to Hyderabad, while I stayed on in Visakhapatnam for a couple more days. I walked around the city along the beach road and went to the Maritime and Heritage Museums. That evening Rani took me to another classical Indian dance performance by a local group.

On Thursday December 22, I got caught up with emails and walked along the beach road to the aquarium. Along the beach road I saw the sculpture garden and the row of statues of prominent citizens.


 
The sculpture garden


 
One of the sculptures


 
The row of statues

One statue was of Kodi Ramamurthy, the Indian Hercules who stopped a rail engine with a single hand.


 
The statue of Kodi Ramamurthy

On Friday December 23, I checked out of the hotel and went to Rani’s house for breakfast and discussion, before I headed to the airport for my flight to Chennai. It was scheduled for 1:05 p.m., but ended up delayed for an hour and a half. The flight arrived in Chennai at 4:15 and I checked into a hotel and walked around that evening.

No comments: