Monday, April 15, 2013

Amman March 26-April 9

My flight arrived in Amman at 10:45 on Tuesday March 26 at the newly opened terminal.


The new terminal at the Amman airport.

During this two-week stay in Amman at ACOR, my principal work was to finish the draft English translation of Mohammed Ghosheh’s Arabic book about the Dome of the Rock. I also worked on some revisions to the Baptism Site application for UNESCO World Heritage status and did a quick final proofreading pass through the two Gustaf Dalman volumes, which should be out in early May.

This two-week period was filled with a heavy schedule of public lectures that I attended at the French Cultural Institute, the British Institute, the German Institute, the Columbia University Center and ACOR.

On Wednesday morning April 10, I crossed over the Allenby Bridge to Jerusalem. Rustom, the assistant director of the Baptism Site, came by ACOR first thing in the morning to pick up my final edited version of the UNESCO application and he took me to the bridge on his way to work at the nearby Baptism Site. That enabled me to cross in a fast four hours of travel time.

No comments: