Monday, April 15, 2013

Hyderabad March 16-20

My overnight bus arrived in Hyderabad at 7:00 on Saturday March 16, and I checked into the Sai Prakash Hotel in the city center in Abids, where I have stayed before. That evening I went to Shivarampally on the southern outskirts of the city to meet some former students and colleagues from the Henry Martyn Institute. Varghese and his new wife, whose wedding I had missed by arriving in India one day too late, and Poonam and Vijay came to a local restaurant for dinner.


Vijay, Poonam, Me, Varghese and his wife Reeba

The main objective of my stay in Hyderabad was to meet people who have an interest in the heritage buildings of Bhimunipatnam.

On Sunday March 17 I visited S. P. Shorey. Now retired, he had worked for the Hyderabad Urban Development Authority and back in 1980 he had written a Tourism Development and Conservation Plan for Bhimunipatnam. He was also one of the participants in the 2002 workshop.

On Tuesday March 19 I visited Anuradha Reddy, the head of the Hyderabad chapter of INTACH. That afternoon I called on Timothy Marthand, the pianist, and picked up the lens to my fancy camera that I had left behind when I first arrived in India.

On Wednesday March 20 I went to the Andhra Pradesh State Department of Archaeology and Museums to meet K. Padmanabha and then Ramakrishna Rao, who had signed my permit.

That afternoon I went to the Henry Martyn Institute in Shivarampally only to discover upon arrival that a two-day conference on Spirituality and Secularism was in progress. I had lunch with the conference participants and then attended the afternoon session, which was followed by a performance of Carnatic music and dinner.


The HMI campus with the conference participants at lunch


The Carnatic music performance

The next morning I went to the airport for my 10:30 am flight to Delhi.

No comments: