Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bhimunipatnam March 2

On Saturday March 1 Anja, Ilse and I continued our documentation of heritage buildings in Bhimunipatnam.

In the morning we picked Samuel up and went to the oddly-shaped building to do some further work on the building plan.


The building interior


A detail of the roof construction

The large original building is now divided into different residences, and Samuel chatted with some of the current residents without learning much about the early history of the building.


One resident family


Another resident

At 11:15, while Anja and Ilse continued with the building, I went with Samuel to the District Institute for Education and Training (DIET) teacher’s training college. Samuel himself had been a student there in the early 1950s and then later a teacher before he retired. He introduced me to the current director, who had a staff member bring a stack of about 90 prints of old photographs of Bhimunipatnam, including some of buildings that have been demolished in recent years. That was the first cache of old photographs that we had found and I arranged to come back after lunch to photograph them.

So after lunch with the sisters in St Ann’s, while Anja and Ilse went to the internet place in Tagarapuvalasa, I returned to the DIET Institute and started photographing the prints until I was about half way through, when the staff member suddenly decided that I had photographed enough and took the stack away. Samuel was not with me, nor was the DIET director there, so there was nothing I could do. So I waited for my auto to pick me up and take me back to the school.


The Ripley Company Head Office


The Governor’s Mansion


The 101 Doors Building

That evening at the school after dinner we sort of played the card game UNO with some of the mostly younger students, with a constantly fluctuating number of players and lax attention to the actual rules.

No comments: