Monday, April 15, 2013

Chennai and Bangalore March 12-15

My overnight bus arrived in Chennai on Tuesday March 12 at 5:45 am and having received good directions, I took a bus to Velacherry on the south side of the city and then walked to the house of the Benoit family, arriving at 7:45. The Benoits are the family with whom I had travelled around visiting Roman Catholic pilgrimage churches in December 2011. I had known Florina Benoit and her husband Ashok from my days at the Henry Martyn Institute in Hyderabad. The family members are building an apartment building for themselves, where some members have already moved in.


The Benoit apartment building

After settling in, I went back to the city, where I spent the day traveling around by bus and metro. I got a bus ticket for my onward travel to Bangalore and did some shopping, before returning to the Benoit building. That evening Florina and Ashok, who live in the city, came by to have dinner with the rest of the family.

The next morning I went to the city again. I originally had ambitious plans for sight-seeing, but once I arrived at the central bus station at 10:00, my enthusiasm dwindled and I decided to check into the dormitory for transit passengers there instead. So I took naps, did some reading and hung out for the rest of the day until my 11:30 pm bus to Bangalore.

The bus arrived at the central bus station in Bangalore at 6:00 am on Thursday March 14. I walked around and got a ticket for my onward travel to Hyderabad and then took a bus to the Indian Institute of Management in the south side of the city and checked into my hotel nearby at 9:30.

I had come to Bangalore to meet Kiran Kiswani, an urban planner and architect with an interest in the heritage buildings of Bhimunipatnam. She was the person who organized a workshop about heritage conservation in Bhimunipatnam in 2002. In the afternoon I went to meet Kiran on the IIA campus, where her husband is a faculty member, and we chatted for a couple of hours.

The next day, Friday March 15, after spending much of the morning browsing the internet at the hotel, I went to the Bannerghat National Park south of the city, in the afternoon. I took the safari bus trip, which lasted under an hour. A good number of animals were to be seen, including various antelopes, lions and tigers, including one albino..


Some antelopes


An albino tiger

Otherwise there was nothing much else to do there, so I took a bus back to the central bus station, arriving at 5:00. I walked around for a while and hung out at a nice public park right next to the station, before my bus to Hyderabad left at 7:45. The bus was a slower, non-air-conditioned coach, which made a number of stops along the way.


The park in Bangalore

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like to recommend your article on this blog. You can also refer Hotels near Hyderabad Railway Station for more information.